Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Learning Curve Shirt

This shirt. I don't know where to begin. It was the subject of a tantrum that resembled that of a three year old, but it also turned out to be the project I am most proud of so far.

So begins the pre-refashion photo shoot. 

I love the soft fabric and pattern of this skirt. It also has awesome pleats which I love. 

I wasn't going out to see a friend visiting from out of state like this though. They would question my sanity. 

Sometimes I question it...

Maybe if I wear it like this instead... nope.


I decided to turn this skirt into a shirt which, lookin back, I probably shouldn't have done without a dress form. That would have saved a lot of frustration. 

But since that isn't in the budget right now, I decided to guesstimate. Let the bumpy ride begin. 

First I tried on the skirt with the waistband around my neck and the bottom opening around my waist. I pinned where I though the arm pit should be/ where the seam for the armhole should begin. 

Next I spread the skirt flat {as possible with all those pleats}  and inside-out on the floor. I pinned from my armpit pin {haha} all the way down to the bottom hem. Then, using the same starting point {armpit pin, haha again} I ran a line of pins down the hem a few inches to the inside of the first line. Confused yet? Here's a pic:

It kinda creates a triangle. See?

I did this on both sides. Then I ran the line of pins through my machine. After, I made two big cuts right in between my rows of pins. See there this is going???



Now I had somewhat of a shirt in the sense that it had a neck hole and places for my arms to fit through. It's still didn't look very good though. 

I chopped off some length from the bottom and from the sleeves, but still wasn't happy with it {insert toddler tantrum here}.

 I made the sleeves too tight.... Grrr. There is nothing more annoying that stifling sleeves, except Publix not having your favorite flavor of Ben and Jerry's icecream {which is Peanut Butter World, just FYI}. I decided to cut the sleeves along the shoulder to open them up a bit. 

Like so. Snippin', ziggin' and zaggin' 


I ran a zigzag stitch over the edges to keep it from fraying. At this point I thought I was done. I wore it out in public like this: 



Not horrible, but I was still a little disappointed. I decided to just risk it big and rip off the waist band/ new collar completely. Also, what's with that baby sash? 



I sewed the new neckline right back down. I also used some of the left over fabric to make my sash an appropriate length. 



All finished! This is definitely the refashion that I have worked the most on. I think it paid off. I am so proud of my new top. 



Off to Downtown Disney with the hubs. 

"We are by the Lego statue of Woody. Where are you?"

Can't wait for Spencer to arrive! 

Even the free parts of Disney are magical

Much fun was had by all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment